We are one of the world leaders in the design and application of infra-red temperature measurement and we have a fabulous opportunity for a hands-on, bright, articulate, driven and detailed Design Physicist to join our Physics team. The role focuses on the application of physics, optics and engineering in the design, build, test and calibration of prototype instruments and systems. The successful candidate will be supported by excellent product training and a commitment to continuous personal and professional development.
SALARY: £40,000 - £50,000
BENEFITS: 25 Days Holiday, plus 11 Statutory Benefits
LOCATION: Dronfield, Sheffield
COMMUTABLE LOCATIONS: Sheffield, Chesterfield, Nottingham, Rotherham
The Opportunity: Design Physicist - Non-Contact Thermometry and Environmental Monitoring
As part of our specialist Physics team, you will be responsible for the application of practical physics, optics and engineering skills to design, build, test and calibrate prototype instruments and systems in the field of non-contact thermometry and environmental monitoring. Occasional travel may be required for site trials at customer sites and presentations at industry conferences.
- Optical and radiometric instrumentation design
- Lab-based optics, radiometric and ambient testing
- Characterise new instruments and devise production calibration procedures
- Technical support to sales and production functions
- Management and involvement in specific projects
- Undertake personal development by constantly updating relevant physics and technology knowledge
Person Requirements: Design Physicist - Infra-red Temperature Measurement
- Educated to degree, MSc or PhD level with a good understanding and interest in optics, thermal imaging and/or infra-red radiometry
- Hands-on practical industrial experience of instrumentation development and the application of physics in highly technical products
- Practical, capable of innovation and improvisation, with a talent for making things work
- Able to understand a complex thermal or optical system, devise experiments to investigate and characterise it, carefully acquire data and interpret complicated data sets
- Responsible and prepared to take ownership
- Able to balance multiple workloads and potentially manage complex projects from inception to completion
- Strong Project management
- Experience of optical design preferably using Zemax software
We are one of the world leader’s in the design and application of non-contact thermometry and environmental monitoring equipment for industry. We are known as both innovators and manufacturers of high quality precision radiation thermometers and systems and our products are used extensively in applications across the steel, glass, electronics, mineral processing, power generation and utilities market sectors.
Excellent support for continuing personal & professional development and career advancement with a global leader.
It is highly likely you will have worked in any of the following roles and/or markets and worked with the following products and/or services: Design Physicist, Physics, Optics, Radiometric, PhD, MSc, Non-Contact Thermometry, Infra-red Radiometry, Instrumentation Design, Optical Design, Environmental Monitoring, Manufacturing, Instrumentation, Mechanical Engineering, Electro/Mechanical Engineering, Zemax Software.
Please Note - We have been selected as the exclusive retained partner for this role so any direct applications to our client from candidates or agencies will be forwarded on to us direct.
INTERESTED? Please apply to our retained consultant Tracey FitzGerald quoting Design Physicist and referenceTF15160 to Wallace Hind Selection. The Old Vicarage. Duston. Northants. NN5 6JB. Tel: 44 (0) 1604 758857. Please note that the postcodes used for this vacancy are for searching purposes only, they may not refer exactly to where the role is based.